Dr. Predrag K. Nikolic
Chair of MA/MFA User Experience Design, Professor
BSc in Art History, University of Belgrade; MFA in Digital Arts, University of Arts in Belgrade; MBA General, Cardiff Metropolitan University; PhD in Digital Media, University of Arts in Belgrade
Dr. Predrag K. Nikolic is an experimental designer, interactive media artist, and digital media expert who holds a PhD in Digital Media and an MBA. His research focuses on mix-experiential reality, singularity, Human-AI interaction, artificial intelligence emancipation, intelligent interfaces, robot creativity, AI aesthetics and design for behavioral changes.
He mixes immersive virtual worlds, artificial intelligence, and responsive environments to engage an audience in new types of interactive experiences and media perceptions. His ongoing research project Syntropic Counterpoints had numerous exposures worldwide together with artworks such as AI.R Taletorium, Aquaterrestrial Colonization, Metaphysics of the Machines, Botorikko Machine Created State, Robosophy Philosophy, In_Visible Island, Digital Lolipop.
He exhibited and presented his works at Ars Electronica Festival, International Symposium of Electronic Art (ISEA), SIGGRAPH, SIGGRAPH Asia, Technarte, EmTech MIT Review Dubai, Singapore Science Center, Maison Shanghai, Hong Kong – Shenzhen Design Biennial, National Museum of Applied Arts in Belgrade, National Museum of Education in Belgrade.
Dr. Predrag K. Nikolic has published numerous research papers in creative user experience and co-creation, artificial intelligence creativity, AI aesthetics, robot–robot interaction, design for behavior change, mix-experiential reality, multi-sensory interfaces, interactivity and interface design. He is Editor-In-Chief for EAI Endorsed Transactions on Creative Technologies Journal, European Alliance for Innovation Fellow, listed artist in Leonardo Electronic Directory, SIGGRAPH Digital Arts Community Member, international exhibitions curator, and serves on many conference committees.
Before joining the College For Creative Studies, Dr. Predrag Nikolic was a Professor at the University of the Bahamas, ShanghaiTech University, Shantou University, Dean of Faculty of Digital Production at Educons University, Adjunct Professor at Bergen Academy of Art and Design, Chinese Academy of Art and Malaysia Multimedia University.
He is a founder of AI.R Lab and served as principal investigator at Shanghai Tech University, a senior research fellow at IDM Lab and a researcher at Aalto University Finland. During his 20-year career in the interactive media creative industry, he was director of digital and digital creative director for creative agencies such as Grey Worldwide, J. Walter Thomson, Ogilvy Mather, and Ogilvy Group. He conceptualized and designed a digital media presence for clients such as Telenor, IBM, Nestle, H&M, Mars, Coca-Cola, Credit Agricole Bank, Yahoo, Czech Airlines and many others.
Significant Publications, Presentations and Exhibitions
Recent Publications/Conference Papers
- 2022 Nikolić, P.K., Designing User Experience with the Sonic Metaphors. In: Brooks, E., Sjöberg, J., Møller, A.K. (eds) Design, Learning, and Innovation. DLI 2021. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, vol 435. Springer, Cham.
- 2021 Nikolić, P.K., Liu, R., Metaphysics of The Machines: From Human-Robot-Robot Interaction to AI Philosopher Abstraction, In: González Díaz, Paloma; García Méndez, Andrea (coord.) «In the limits of what is possible: art, science and technology». Artnodes, no. 28:
- 1-10. UOC.
- 2021 Predrag K. Nikolić and Mohd Razali Md Tomari., Robot-Robot Interaction, Toward New Conversational Artificial Intelligence Aesthetic. In 10th International Conference on Digital and Interactive Arts (ARTECH 2021). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 15, 1–9.
- 2020 Nikolic P.K., Syntropic Counterpoints: Singularity Dadaism as Novel AI Creative Practice Paradigm. In: Arai K., Kapoor S., Bhatia R. (eds) Proceedings of the Future Technologies Conference (FTC) 2020, Volume 1. FTC 2020. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol1288. Springer, Cham.
- 2020 Nikolić P.K., Md Tomari M.R., Robot Creativity: Humanlike Behaviour in the Robot-Robot Interaction. In: Santos H., Pereira G., Budde M., Lopes S., Nikolic P. (eds) Science and Technologies for Smart Cities. SmartCity 360 2019. Lecture Notes of the Institute for the InComputer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, vol 323. Springer, Cham.
- 2020 Nikolić P.K., Intelligent Playful Environments in New Urban Social Landscape. In: Santos H., Pereira G., Budde M., Lopes S., Nikolic P. (eds) Science and Technologies for Smart Cities. SmartCity360 2019. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, vol 323. Springer, Cham.
- 2020 Nikolić P.K., Russo N.L., Crossing Sensory Boundaries with Creative Productions. In: Santos H., Pereira G., Budde M., Lopes S., Nikolic P. (eds) Science and Technologies for Smart Cities. SmartCity 360 2019. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, vol 323. Springer, Cham.
- 2020 Talib R.I.A., Nikolic P.K., Sunar M.S., Prada R., In-Visible Island: Inclusive Storytelling Platform for Visually Impaired Children, Mobile Networks and Applications, (),1-12DOI10.1007/s11036-020-
- 2020 Nikolic, P., Cheok, AD., InnerBody: Using interactive and multisensory interfaces to design behavioral change, LEONARDO Journal, MIT Press, USA
- 2020 Nikolic, P.K., Yang, H., Designing Playful Cities: Audio-VisualMetaphors for New Urban Environment Experience. Mobile Netw Appl.
- 2019, Nikolic, P.K. & Yang, H., Artificial Intelligence Clone Generated Content toward Robot Creativity and Machine Mindfulness, Mobile Networks and Applications (1-10), Springer International Publishing.
- 2019 Nikolić, P.K., Measuring Creative Experience from Visitors’ Paths and Abstract Multi-sensory Artefacts, Mobile Networks and Applications, Springer International Publishing
- 2022 Predrag K. Nikolić, Kishan Munroe, Giacomo Bertin and Marko Jovanović., Aquaterrestrial Colonization, Ars Electronica Festival, Linz, Austria
- 2022 Predrag K. Nikolić, Giacomo Bertin., AI.R Taletorium: Artificial Intelligence 1001 Cyber Nights, International Symposium on Electronic Art, Barcelona, Spain
- 2021 Predrag K. Nikolić, Ruiyang Liu, and Shengcheng Luo.. Metaphysics of The Machines. In 10th International Conference on Digital and Interactive Arts (ARTECH 2021). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 83, 1–4.
- 2021 Predrag K. Nikolić, Mohd Razali Md Tomari, and Marko Jovanovic., Human-Robot-Robot Interaction: Botorikko Machine Created State. In 10th International Conference on Digital and Interactive Arts (ARTECH 2021). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 102, 1–4.
- 2021 Predrag K. Nikolic, Ruiyang Liu, and Shengcheng Luo., Syntropic Counterpoints: Metaphysics of The Machines. In Proceedings of the 29th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (MM ’21). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 1443–1445.
- 2020 Nikolić P.K., Md Tomari M.R., Jovanovic M., Botorikko, Machine Created State, SIGGRAPH Asia Art Gallery.
- 2019 Nikolic P.K., Artificial Intelligence Aesthetic, New Phenomena for Social Interactions in Smart Cities, EmTech Mena MIT Review, Dubai, UAE.
- 2019 Nikolic, PK., Botorikko Machine Created State, Technarte, Bilbao, Spain.
- 2019 Abu Talib R.I., Nikolic P.K., Sunar M.S., In-Visible Island Smart Collaborative Storytelling Platform, Ars Electronica, Linz, Austria.
- 2018 Nikolic, P., Yang, H., Chen, J., Stankevich, GP., Syntropic Counterpoints: Art of AI Sense or Machine Made Context Art, Proceeding SIGGRAPH 2018 Poster, Article No. 18, ACM New York, NY, USA.
- 2018 Nikolic, PK., Syntropic Counterpoints: Art of AI Sense, Technarte, Los Angeles, USA.
- 2018 Nikolic PK., Robosophy Philosophy, Ars Electronica, Linz, Austria.