Select Page

Practical Training & Employment

On-campus Employment:

International Students may work on campus, for CCS. This means they are able to take advantage of college work study positions in the shops, departments, offices, or libraries. Graduate students are also eligible to serve in Graduate Assistantships. Students are able to work during the academic year (fall and winter semesters)  as part-time employee with a maximum of 20 hours per week. During the summer vacation, they may work more hours if available and in compliance with CCS Human Resources Employment Policies. To view the current Work-Study position please view the CCS Financial Aid Office webpage.

Off-Campus Practical Training Opportunities: 

F-1 students may work off-campus with proper work authorization, and according to immigration regulations. The different types of authorizations are listed below. The Global Engagement Office is available to all CCS international students, and alumni to assist with the application process for obtaining work authorizations such as CPT, OPT, STEM OPT Extensions, and Academic Training.

  • CPT, Curricular Practical Training
    During the degree program, international students will be able to apply for a specialized work authorization known as Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
  • OPT, Optional Practical Training
    After graduation, international students may be able to extend their F-1 Visa status for an entire year, under the Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT gives international students the ability to remain in the USA for an entire year beyond graduation for the purpose of practical, professional training in their field of study.
  • STEM OPT Extension
    Some programs of study at CCS are eligible for the OPT STEM Extension. This is a unique opportunity that allows international students, in specific programs, to apply to extend their standard OPT for an additional two years. If approved, that’s a total of three years of Practical Training Experience.

Academic Training for Exchange and J-1 Visa Students:

Students participating in an Exchange Program with CCS, attending on a J-1 Student Visa, are able to apply for Academic Training. The training time period may not exceed the duration of their program of study at CCS. The Academic Training agreement must be approved by the Global Engagement Office, the Student’s academic department at CCS, and the student’s home institution.


  • CCS Office of Partnerships
    The CCS Office of Partnerships and the International Student Services Office coordinate to support your professional development at CCS. Through workshops on Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training, Job book and Industry events we make certain our students are prepared for their future careers and are knowledgeable about how their visa benefits are related.